Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Land of Milk and Honey

Don’t listen to foreign blokes who’ve had too much imo shochu, (or tequila) when you’ve had a Glenlivet or two yourself. If you do, you’ll find out the following:

(1) the whereabouts of the fabled “Land of Milk and Honey” (not Israel, but apparently somewhere in Hesaka, in the East of Hiroshima)

(2) a vast array of Australian cultural terminology

(3) more home truths than you bargained for

and

(4) that you are the proud owner of an expensive flat-screen TV of surprisingly ample proportions

Most of the Western ex-pats in Japan tend to find themselves drinking or eating in enclaves – some more than others. I was once asked in a job interview in Kyoto, by a fearsome Korean woman, why it was that all Westerners needed to hang out together rather than to assimilate into the Japanese lifestyle as she had done. The question caught me off-guard and I think I replied that I felt I had assimilated pretty well and spent a lot of time with Japanese friends.

This answer was, of course, not entirely true, as I now know the whereabouts of the “Land of Milk and Honey”, a vast array of Australian cultural terminology, home truths aplenty, and I also have a magical Sharp Aquos flat-screen TV arriving tomorrow. Ahhh, bliss!

2 Comments:

Blogger Maethelwine said...

So you actually went out and bought the TV? Or did I turn away for a moment and miss a joke?

7:34 AM  
Blogger jh said...

We have the TV. Big coincidence as when I got home M showed me an ad with cheap TVs in our local store. I checked the prices against www.kakaku.com (a great site to compare prices in shops all over Japan for all manner of goods) and they were cheaper. So, bit the bullet and bought.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home